Working Groups, Roundtables & Special Events
Coast Waste Management Association fosters environmental leadership and best practices by providing a forum for discussion, education, and networking.
Our Working Groups, Roundtables, Regular and Special Events are all a key part to ensure we fulfill our mission.
Participation by our members and friends of CWMA is vital as it is the sharing of their expertise, ideas, and progress that builds the knowledge to foster leadership in solid waste management in BC.
CWMA Working Groups have been created to provide domain-specific focus to make a greater collective impact on information sharing within the solid waste management industry in British Columbia. These groups are action-oriented networks, where leaders come together to contribute their expertise and experience to help each other learn, develop solutions, and implement successful strategies.
Every group is facilitated and participants set the agendas based on their current interests and needs.
Islands, Remote & Rural Community Working Group includes ongoing updates, problem-solving discussions, virtual tours, and compilation of common information, success, stats, and challenges to inform each other and other industry members on how waste is managed from BC Islands, rural, and remote areas. (Meetings are every two months).
LFG Field & Flare Operator Working Group co-led by Sarah Willie (Comox Valley Regional District) this is a small working group of LFG collection field and flare operators in BC who come together to discuss LFG topics and problem solve together. (Meetings are every two months).
Educators & Communicators Working Group co-led by the Let’s Talk Trash team (famous for their work with the qathet RD), this groups brings together educators and communicators from corporate organizations, non-profits, and local governments to discuss best practices, challenges and opportunities to communicate with the public. (Meetings are every two months or so).
Construction & Demolition Waste Working Group co-led by Christine Woodhouse (City of Victoria Zero Waste Victoria team) this group meets on specific topics related to construction and demolition waste diversion, from policy to new innovations. Topics are determined by attendees and range depending on the group interest and needs. (Meetings are every two months).
Single Use Plastics Working Group co-led by Sonam Bajwa (Regional District of Nanaimo) and Tamara Shulman (Tamara Shulman & Associates) is a purposefully small group that crosses all areas of the topic from producers of reusables to policy analysts. This group meets to stay on top of what is happening with SUP to allow CWMA to build our more fulsome events or roundtables on subjects that are important and emerging in this arena.
- NEW! Landfill Managers/Operators in BC. The vision for this group is to come together for roundtable updates, problem-solving discussions, sharing information, successes, and challenges to keep each other informed and learn from one another. Co-led by Christian Dietrich (Ecowaste Industries), this group will meet 4 times a year and provide additional support to each other between meetings.
- NEW! Organics & Food Recovery Working Group. There is no co-leader for this group yet. This group meets to stay on top of what is happening with organics management and food recovery across BC. Topics are determined by attendees and range depending on the group interest and needs. Meetings are quarterly.
- NEW! Northern BC Solid Waste Working Group. Pilot Meeting for the new group in May 10, 2022.
CWMA Roundtables combine a traditional roundtable discussion purpose: to hold a close discussion and exploration of a specific topic but they will often include summary updates from everyone around the table to bring everyone to a heightened understanding of the work of colleagues and groups across the industry. For the main discussion, our roundtables hold all participants on equal footing and ideas are equally exchanged by participants on a given topic.
- Textiles ~ Next Roundtable Event: May 13, 2022 | 9:30 – 11:30 AM | Virtual
- Local Government & First Nations ~ Next Roundtable Event: May 19, 2022 | 1:00 pm-3:30 pm | Virtual
- Educators & Communicators ~ Next Roundtable Event: October 26, 2022 in conjunction with CWMA Conference.
CWMA provides many forums and facilitation with our Mission in mind: to foster environmental leadership and best practices by providing a forum for discussion, education, and networking within the solid waste industry in BC and beyond…
From individual presenters (virtually), speed meetings to bring everyone together for updates and information and very specializes learning events for our members through our Affinity Program. Some of our special events last year:
- Stewardship Programs & Depot Operator Speed Meeting ~ Last event: October 20, 2021
- CWMA Member Exclusive Learn-From-a-Pro Education Session: The Best Ways to Use Video & How to Get Started
- CWMA Member Exclusive Learn-From-a-Pro Education Session: Recruitment Now: How to Hire Better
- CWMA Member Exclusive Workshop: Managing Change in Uncertain Times